Book Bin

If it ain't about boats, it should go here.

Moderator: Soñadora

Re: Book Bin

Postby kimbottles » Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:05 pm

Bull City wrote:Has anyone read or seen the new book, Herreshoff: American Masterpieces by Maynard Bray and Claas van der Linde? If so, how did you like it?

Yes, it was fine.

(But I like anything about the Herreshoffs......)
kimbottles

Postby Bull City » Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:08 pm

Thanks, Kim. I will add it to my Christmas list.
Bull City

Postby Tigger » Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:44 am

I imagine a good number of us have read the Aubrey/Maturin novels (Master and Commander et al). I'm enjoying the biography of the author, Patrick O'Brian, written by Dean King. Turns out O'Brian is not his real name, and it's not a nom de plume either. He legally changed it after WWII. Why? You'll just have to read for yourself!
Ross Bligh, Beneteau 36.7 'Elision' (rhymes with 'collision', lol)
Tigger

Postby kimbottles » Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:09 am

Tigger wrote:I imagine a good number of us have read the Aubrey/Maturin novels (Master and Commander et al). I'm enjoying the biography of the author, Patrick O'Brian, written by Dean King. Turns out O'Brian is not his real name, and it's not a nom de plume either. He legally changed it after WWII. Why? You'll just have to read for yourself!

We met O'Brian some years ago. He was not warm and fuzzy. Rather he was quite up tight and guarded.
But we love his books.
kimbottles

Postby Orestes Munn » Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:18 am

kimbottles wrote:
Tigger wrote:I imagine a good number of us have read the Aubrey/Maturin novels (Master and Commander et al). I'm enjoying the biography of the author, Patrick O'Brian, written by Dean King. Turns out O'Brian is not his real name, and it's not a nom de plume either. He legally changed it after WWII. Why? You'll just have to read for yourself!

We met O'Brian some years ago. He was not warm and fuzzy. Rather he was quite up tight and guarded.
But we love his books.

I have read he was a real jerk. I simply loved the books. Read them once and then listened to them on Audible. I can recommend the reader very highly.

Just finished The Riddle of the Sands. Pretty good for a sailing book. ;)
Orestes Munn

Postby kimbottles » Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:32 am

Orestes Munn wrote:
kimbottles wrote:

But we love his books.

I have read he was a real jerk. I simply loved the books. Read them once and then listened to them on Audible. I can recommend the reader very highly.

Just finished The Riddle of the Sands. Pretty good for a sailing book. ;)

Yeah, another good sailing book, and don't forget Mowat's The Boat that Wouldn't Float!!

(O'Brian also seemed to think quite highly of himself but not so of anyone in his presence.)
kimbottles

Postby Jamie » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:02 am

Reading Rockets and People by Boris Chertok. It's a free PDF and 4 volumes.

His version of the Russian side of the space race starting in the late 20's in aerospace. Have to read it with a grain of salt on certain things....but it is a personal view. Very interesting so far. I've only just gotten past the reverse engineering of the A2 in post-war Germany.
Jamie

Postby SemiSalt » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:20 pm

I'm reading "Murder on Brittany Shores" by Jean-Luc Bannalec. As a murder mystery, it's nothing out of the ordinary. However it brought to my attention the Glenan, and small archipelago of the south coast of Brittany. It's where the Glenans Sailing School got started.

We all have our favorite destinations for a daysail or overnight. Someplace not too far away, and somewhat interesting. Is your favorite place as nice as this?

les_glenans_credit_nicolas_job.jpg

les-glenan.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
And malt does more than Milton can
To justify God's ways to man. - A.E. Houseman - A Shropshire lad
SemiSalt

Postby Ish » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:45 pm

An hour from the dock...

Jim Watts~~~~~~~~~Paradigm Shift~~~~~~~~C&C 35 Mk III
Ish

Postby SemiSalt » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:15 pm

That's got a high Wow factor.
SemiSalt

Postby Orestes Munn » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:12 pm

SemiSalt wrote:I'm reading "Murder on Brittany Shores" by Jean-Luc Bannalec. As a murder mystery, it's nothing out of the ordinary. However it brought to my attention the Glenan, and small archipelago of the south coast of Brittany. It's where the Glenans Sailing School got started.

We all have our favorite destinations for a daysail or overnight. Someplace not too far away, and somewhat interesting. Is your favorite place as nice as this?

les_glenans_credit_nicolas_job.jpg

les-glenan.jpg

No.
Orestes Munn

Postby Orestes Munn » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:55 am

Richard Nixon; The Life by John A. Farrell

Fascinating, even handed, well written. What a character! A dark, insecure, soul, capable of awful villainy, Olympian grudge-holding, and any kind of political skulduggery, yet he acted out of seemingly pure conscience, with superb courage, and even unrewarded kindness, at times. Made his buddy JFK look like an amoral featherweight.
Orestes Munn

Postby BeauV » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:52 pm

I’m resurrecting this thread for two reasons.

First: Donn’s new book (Savior) is well worth reading. For obvious reasons, he has the sailing details down cold. He also gets the romance stuff right. It’s well worth reading.

Second: Those of you who read it should be sure to give it a good review on Amazon, Goodreads, and Social Media (Twitter, Facebook, Reddit, etc....)

I asked Donn for some reading suggestions, and I suppose we should put them here.

Postby LarryHoward » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:20 pm

BeauV wrote:I’m resurrecting this thread for two reasons.

First: Donn’s new book (Savior) is well worth reading. For obvious reasons, he has the sailing details down cold. He also gets the romance stuff right. It’s well worth reading.

Second: Those of you who read it should be sure to give it a good review on Amazon, Goodreads, and Social Media (Twitter, Facebook, Reddit, etc....)

I asked Donn for some reading suggestions, and I suppose we should put them here.

Downloaded and saving for this weekend. Back into the hospital for Chemo Thursday.
LarryHoward

Postby Rob McAlpine » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:41 pm

I already down loaded. It's next in line for me.
Sometimes I sit and think. Other times I just sit.

They talk about my drinking, but never my thirst.
Rob McAlpine

Postby Orestes Munn » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:26 pm

Ron Chernow’s Hamilton bio.

It gives a detailed view of the the near civil war between agrarian (slaveholding) populists and those who favored the growth of government and financial institutions. The struggle has distinct echos in today’s political divisions. It was an era of fake news, conspiracy theories, real conspiracies and politics even uglier than what we are enduring now. Filled an important gap in my woefully incomplete education.

Hamilton himself, is needless to say, a fascinating subject.

Well written, aside from a few annoying clinkers, such as the common misuse of “in waiting.”
Orestes Munn

Postby kimbottles » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:00 pm

New book from Ron Holland
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kimbottles

Postby JoeP » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:57 pm

kimbottles wrote:New book from Ron Holland

Yup.

15234973001380.jpg
JoeP

Postby Jamie » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:15 am

Just got a copy of The Symmetry of Sailing.

What a great book. It explains what we know intuitively with facts, and corrected more than a couple of misunderstandings.

Jamie

Postby kimbottles » Wed May 16, 2018 11:07 pm

Remember that Ed guy over on CA? What does he call himself? ‘A Horse of course” or something like that.

Well he is a book dealer, kind of a very high end used book dealer and he found this for me.

I am in heaven. It has been quite a while since I last managed to find a good addition to my yacht design library. Ed really hit the jackpot for me with this one.

I think I am going to be busy for the next couple days.

(The second volume on the right is nothing but foldout plates of lines drawings, layout drawings and other juicy detailed drawings.)
kimbottles

Postby SemiSalt » Thu May 17, 2018 6:53 am

Kim, great find! I'll have to research DK a bit. The name is familiar, but I don't recall much of anything about his work.
SemiSalt

Postby kimbottles » Fri May 18, 2018 1:47 pm

He just posted again on CA, my vintage/rare book pusher is “Mr. Ed” (I think he did say a horse of course at some point, he uses that Mr. Ed horse picture as his avatar.)

(He has an appointment by the Queen to be her purveyor of rare books and manuscripts.)
kimbottles

Postby JoeP » Sat May 19, 2018 11:28 pm

kimbottles wrote:Remember that Ed guy over on CA? What does he call himself? ‘A Horse of course” or something like that.

Well he is a book dealer, kind of a very high end used book dealer and he found this for me.

I am in heaven. It has been quite a while since I last managed to find a good addition to my yacht design library. Ed really hit the jackpot for me with this one.

I think I am going to be busy for the next couple days.

(The second volume on the right is nothing but foldout plates of lines drawings, layout drawings and other juicy detailed drawings.)

Oh wow Kim! What a great find!
JoeP

Postby kimbottles » Sun May 20, 2018 9:52 am

Mr Ed (Ed Maggs: Maggs Brothers, London) came and visited FRANCIS LEE a couple years ago. What a hoot he is. Full of energy and he owns a large gaff ketch. We visited him while in London and his establishment is quite impressive.

He mentioned that he would attempt to find a set of Dixon Kemp’s for me, I had no idea what he was talking about. He told me my library simply was not complete without a set. He was right.

The Dixon Kemp’s is really something (pricey too!) He sourced it from an old boat builder, that makes it even more intriguing.

The number of interesting people I have met because the Sliver project was on CA is truly amazing.
kimbottles

Postby Olaf Hart » Sun May 20, 2018 5:44 pm

Has anyone invited Ed to Scantlings Kim?
Olaf Hart

Postby kimbottles » Sun May 20, 2018 7:58 pm

Olaf Hart wrote:Has anyone invited Ed to Scantlings Kim?

I just looked through the “members” and did not see him, maybe I should bring him in, he is a hoot and a half.
kimbottles

Postby IrieMon » Mon May 21, 2018 2:30 pm

Just spent way too much time the past week on airplanes and buses..... but fortunately had just downloaded:

Six Frigates: The Epic History of the Founding of the U.S. Navy
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000W ... UTF8&psc=1

Amazing how much you can re-learn from US school history books. While not much in-depth Scantling info on specific frigates, there is enough to keep experienced sailors interested. But... is an interesting look at early 19th century US Politics. Good segue from OM's comments on Hamilton as he was quite influential during this timeframe. Makes today's political fun-fest look relatively tame :crazy: It does wander at times, but well worth the read !
IrieMon

Postby SemiSalt » Tue May 29, 2018 3:17 pm

Consider this a video book: Depending on how much of a nerd you are, you might like the video channel of Nick the Navel Architect on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkQ2WG ... ERw1vsfy9A

He's talking big ship architecture, and he's not too specific, but some of the subject matter is relevant, e.g. propellers, stability,...
SemiSalt

Postby Orestes Munn » Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:51 pm

“The Future is History” by Masha Gessen.

Depressing, but brilliant. We can all be glad we’re not in Russia.
Orestes Munn

Postby IrieMon » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:38 pm

“The Future is History” by Masha Gessen

Will check this out, thanks for the referral.... my daughter just spent 2 semesters teaching in Romania and the Communist sub-culture still seems strong. An interesting contrast between the wacky colors of Austin-Powers and CCCP battleship-grey. She had a difficult time integrating as "outsiders" are still suspicious..... I chuckle thinking someone would regard my cherub-faced daughter as some mole.
IrieMon

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic